Originally constructed in 1879 by successful Cleveland businessman W.P. Southworth, this Italianate brick mansion served as his family’s home and was expanded twice over the following twenty-five years. During the twentieth century, the mansion was host to a Baptist charity home and variety of professional offices, and was , at one time, used as a college fraternity house prior to purchase by the Chesler Group, Inc. in 2005. During 2006 & 2007 the building was subsequently renovated and restored to provide meeting facilities and executive offices for Local 860 of the Laborer’s International Union of North America.
As part of the exterior work scope, the original entry canopy and glazed west porch were restored, and all of the wood trim, brackets, and eaves were repaired bringing back the mansion’s former glory. New office spaces were provided on the three upper levels of the renovated mansion, and many original Eastlake-style woodwork details were preserved from the 1800’s era including carved wood doors and frames, stone fire places, and the original oak flooring and grand entry stair. The Southworth House and Carriage House is listed on the National Register of Historic Places, and the restoration project received tax-credit funding through the National Parks Service program and the City of Cleveland Storefronts program.