|Andrew Jackson House Restoration - Akron, Ohio 2008-2010|
The Andrew Jackson House, located in downtown Akron, Ohio, was constructed in 1870 and is listed on the National Register of Historic Places. The building was purchased by the Independent Order of Odd Fellows in 1910, and was renovated at that time to provide an ornate 2,200 s.f. meeting hall on the second floor level. Abandoned for a period of over fifteen years, the building was purchased by the Chesler Group in the spring of 2007. The 15,000 s.f. Second Empire style mansion was then subsequently restored and renovated to provide classic professional office spaces for the GAR Foundation and The Knight Foundations of Akron. Construction updates for the building included all new mechanical, electrical and plumbing systems, new accessible bathrooms, meeting and conference spaces, and restoration of existing masonry, windows, and roof areas. The building was renovated in accordance with the National Parks Service guidelines for restoration of historic buildings, and the project was approved for historic tax credit funding for both the state and federal programs. Construction work was completed in the fall of 2010, and the project received an honor award from the Cleveland Restoration Society in 2011.
photos: William Webb- Infinity Studio, Dimit Architects