The Brownstones at Derbyshire townhouses were created by the conversion of an abandoned stone church into five vertical townhouses. A row of coach house garages provides parking for these five townhouses, and at the same time provides three new one-bedroom units above. Thirteen new townhouses flank the existing church conversion to complete the compound.
The architecture for the Brownstones at Derbyshire is designed to complement and enhance the design of the existing First Lutheran Church, erected in the 1930’s. The roofs of the new townhouses and coach-houses match the steep slope of the church’s slate roof, and all of the new construction is anchored with a stone base chosen to match the existing stone construction. The project was completed in 2005.
Principals Scott Dimit, Analia Dimit and Gary Ogrocki completed this project while at Forum/GSI Architects in Cleveland, Ohio.
Photos by Christian Phillips.